The following rules are in effect for the "C-Bus Classic" and "Columbus Memorial Classic" tournaments only, unless otherwise specified. Rules for additional tournaments are typically contained within their specific page.
State High School Athletic Association rules will be used, with the following additions/exceptions:
- Pool play format, followed by a single elimination tournament.
- Tie Breakers:
- Head to head
- Point differential (max of 15) of all pool play games, then back to head to head between the remaining teams.
- If three or more teams are still tied, then fewest points allowed.
- Coin flip.
- Game time is start time. Don't be late! Forfeits count at -15 in a tie breaker situation. There is a 10 minute grace period that may be waived at the Tournament/Site Director's discretion if we are behind schedule.
- Games for age groups 4th Grade through 6th Grade will be 6 minute quarters, while ages 7th Grade and 8th Grade will play 7 minute quarters, 9th Grade, through the "Open Division" (11th or 12th Grade are both welcome here) will be 8 minute quarters, though the "Open Gold" division will play 16 minute halves. The clock will stop for all dead balls, except in the second half when one team is up by 20+ points, in which case the clock will run continuously (except on time outs) until the lead is 19 points or less.
- In the event of overtime, the first overtime period will be 3 minutes. Each additional overtime will be 1 minute.
- Warm-ups will be 5 minutes long and halftime will be 3 minutes, though the Site Director and Referee Assigner reserves the right to reduce this amount if the tournament gets behind schedule.
- Each team is required to provide either a clock operator or a book keeper for each game. The home team shall provide the book keeper while the visiting team will provide the clock operator.
- 3 (45 second) time outs will be allowed per game. Additionally, 1 (45 second) time out will be added for each overtime period though the regulation time outs do not carry over into overtime.
- The one-and-one bonus will take effect on the 7th team foul of each half. Double bonus takes effect on the 10th team foul of each half. 5 fouls on an individual player for that game will disqualify that player.
- If a player, coach, or spectator is ejected from a game for any reason, they must then sit out the next game. If they are ejected a second time, they are disqualified for the remainder of the event. The Tournament or Site Director reserves the right to change this rule under his/his discretion.
- AAU grades/ages are in effect for all age groups. THERE ARE NO EXCEPTIONS WITHOUT WRITTEN CONSENT FROM THE VSE STAFF.
- Teams found to be using ineligible players for any reason will forfeit all games in which the ineligible player participated and that player is then disqualified from the remainder of the tournament. Players may not participate on more than one team in the same age group.
- VSE and/or the Tournament Director has the right to refuse admittance to any team, for any reason, into any VSE event.